Thinking About Sex?
A person may NOT be ready to have sex if…
- They can’t talk about their decision and what outcomes might result. It’s really important that partners discuss things like STI testing, condoms, and birth control. Open communication about sex is necessary to make sure partners are on the same page, feel comfortable, etc.
- They are intoxicated. Drinking and using drugs can affect a person’s ability to think clearly. Consent is sober, excited, and continuous!
- They are pressured or worried they should have sex because others are. A person gets to decide for themselves when they want to be sexually active.
- They haven’t communicated what each other expects from the experience. If one person just wants to hook-up and the other is interested in a serious relationship, those people may want different things out of sex.
- They don’t respect one and other. If one or both people in a relationship lack respect for the other, sex is not going to improve the situation.
If a person doesn’t feel ready, that’s okay. This is a very personal decision, and everyone gets to decide what is best for themselves and that has to be respected.